- Legal Framework
- Selection procedure of the President
- Who does what
- Προστασία Προσωπικών Δεδομένων
- Statistical confidentiality
- Programmes and Reports
- Financial Info
- Statistical Interviewers
Presentation of the Hellenic Statistical Authority
The Hellenic Statistical Authority (ELSTAT) is an independent Authority enjoying operational independence, as well as administrative and financial autonomy. It is not subject to the control of governmental bodies or other administrative authority. Its operation is subject to the control of the Hellenic Parliament and governed by the provisions of the Law 3832/2010 «Hellenic Statistical System Establishment of the Hellenic Statistical Authority as an independent Authority», as amended by article 90, paragraphs 8 and 9 of Law 3842/2010 «Restitution of tax justice, treatment of tax evasion and other provisions», by article 10 of Law 3899/2010 «Urgent measures for the implementation of the assistance program of the Greek economy», by article 22 paragraph 1 of the Law 3965/2011 (Government Gazette No 113, Issue A): “Operations Reform of the Consignment and Loan Fund, Public Debt Management Agency, Public Enterprises and Government bodies, the establishment of the General Secretary of Public Property and other provisions”, by article first of the Law 4047/2012 (Government Gazette No 31, Issue A): “Ratification of the Act of Legislative Content "Very urgent measures for the implementation of the Medium-term Fiscal Strategy 2012-2015 and of the State Budget for 2011" and of the Act of Legislative Content "Regulation of very urgent issues for the implementation of law 4024/2011 "Pension provisions, uniform pay scale - grading system, labour reserve and other provisions for the implementation of the Medium-term Fiscal Strategy Framework 2012-1015" and of issues falling within the competence of the Ministries of Administrative Reform and E-Governance, Interior, Finance, Environment, Energy and Climate Change, and of Education, Lifelong Learning and Religious Affairs and related to the implementation of the Medium-term Fiscal Strategy Framework 2012-2015" and other provisions”, by article 323 of the Law 4072/2012 (Government Gazette No 86, Issue A): “Improvement of the business environment – New corporate form – Trade Marks – Realtors – Regulating maritime, port and fishing matters and other provisions” and by article 7 paragraph 1 of the Act of Legislative Content dated 18/11/2012 (Government Gazette No 228, Issue A): "Financial rules and other provisions".
The Hellenic Statistical System (ELSS) comprises agencies that have the responsibility or obligation to collect statistical data. The role of ELSTAT in the ELSS is determining as, according to Law 3832/2010, it coordinates all the activities of the other ELSS agencies that concern the development, production and dissemination of the country’s official statistics and forwards these statistics to Eurostat.
More specifically, ELSTAT has, among others, the following responsibilities:
- participates in the formation and approves every three years, after obtaining the opinion of the Council of the Hellenic Statistical System (SYELSS), the Hellenic Statistical Program (ELSP), which sets out the major fields and objectives of the actions scheduled by ELSS agencies for a three (3) year period,
- approves the annual statistical work programs of the ELSS agencies and, by taking into consideration these programs, it compiles and implements its respective program,
- produces and publishes as the “National Statistical Institute” the official national and European statistics of Greece,
- represents Greece as the “National Statistical Institute” in the services of the European Union and in any other competent international Organization,
- cooperates with Eurostat and the other services of the European Commission, the national statistical institutes of the other Member States and the national authorities of the ELSS, on statistical issues and participates in the relevant Working Groups and Committees of the European Union and of other international Organizations as the “National Statistical Institute”,
- sees to the timely, reliable and effective dissemination of statistical information and to the promotion of statistical issues and economic research in the context of the country’s international cooperation,
- cooperates with public and private agencies in Greece or abroad, such as educational institutions, research centers and non-profit Organizations for the promotion of scientific research for statistical issues and the implementation of the statistical principles of the Hellenic and European Statistical Systems,
- cooperates and consults with the other ELSS agencies on the development of methods and systems for statistical purposes in their domains of responsibility,
- develops, disseminates and coordinates the implementation of the European Statistics Code of Practice within the framework of ELSS,
- sees to the inculcation of its staff and that of other ELSS agencies, with the principles and methods of production of reliable statistics for the European Statistical System,
- sees to the continuous upgrading of the human resources available to ELSTAT, through training and seminars,
- defines the national Authorities1, which are responsible for the development, production and dissemination of European statistics, in the frame of ELSS,
- defines the ELSS agencies2, which have the responsibility or obligation to collect statistical data,
- approves, after seeking the opinion of the Council of the Hellenic Statistical System, the Regulation on Statistical Obligations of the ELSS agencies,
- certifies as “official” statistics those that have been produced by other agencies of ELSS, on the basis of relevant methodology, which is provided in the Regulation on the Operation and Administration of ELSTAT. In this context, the other ELSS agencies are obliged to submit, at least once a year, reports to ELSTAT on the quality of the transmitted data, which fall in the domain of their responsibility.
The services and agencies of the public sector, the Legal Entities under Private Law, the associations of individuals and natural persons are obliged to grant ELSTAT access to all the administrative sources, public registers and files they keep, in printed, electronic or other form, and provide, in an accurate and timely manner, ELSTAT with primary statistical data and information, which is required for the performance of its duties. The violation of these obligations by any person who may be a civil servant, state official, Legal Entity under Public Law, or employee of a Local Government Organization, constitutes a disciplinary offence of breach of duty and may be punished with the penalty of final dismissal. Moreover, ELSTAT, by its Decision, can impose on the Head of the competent service or the legal representative of the Legal Entity of Public or Private Law or the natural person, the following administrative sanctions: a) issue a notice to correct the violation within a limited period of time, b) in case of failure, to correct the violation, impose a fine, which may range from one thousand (1,000) to fifty thousand (50,000) euros.