Advisory Committee of the ELSS
The Advisory Committee of the Hellenic Statistical System (SY.EP.EL.S.S.) is composed of seventeen (17) members, who verifiably use in their work statistical data as users. Each one of these members, along with his/her substitute, is nominated, respectively, by:
- The Hellenic Parliament
- The Government of Greece
- The Bank of Greece
- The Central Union of Municipalities of Greece (KEDE)
- The Hellenic Fiscal Council
- The Labour Institute of the Greek General Confederation of Labour (IN.E.G.S.E.E.)
- The Union of Hellenic Chambers
- The Hellenic Federation of Enterprises (SEV)
- The Economic and Social Council of Greece (OKE)
- The National Centre for Social Research (EKKE)
- The Centre of Planning and Economic Research (KEPE)
- The Panhellenic Confederation of Unions of Agricultural Cooperatives (PASEGES)
- The Hellenic Bank Association
- The Foundation for Economic and Industrial Research (IOBE)
- The European Commission- Directorate General for Economic and Financial Affairs (DG-ECFIN)
- The European Central Bank (ECB)
- The European Statistical Advisory Committee (ESAC)
In the preparation of the Hellenic Statistical Programme and of the annual statistical work programme of ELSTAT, the SY.EP.EL.S.S provides an advisory opinion to ELSTAT as regards:
- The areas in which it may be necessary to have new statistics developed by the ELSS.
- Potential changes in the priorities of production of existing statistics by the ELSS.
- The ways in which the relevance of the ELSS statistics can increase for users.
- Whether the scope, the level of analysis and the cost of statistics correspond to the needs of users.
The SYEPELSS also provides advisory opinion to ELSTAT on matters that concern the requirements of the users of ELSS statistics, the assessment of the relevance of existing ELSS statistics and the policy on the dissemination of statistics that are produced by ELSS agencies.
The members of the committee are appointed for a four year term, which can be renewed only once. The Chairman of the committee is appointed for a two year term following a ballot taken by its members. The President of ELSTAT is an ex-officio member of the committee and participates in its works and meetings without vote. The committee meets regularly twice a year.